About Me

My photo
Columbia, Missouri
My traveling closet began halfway across the country three years ago when I left Las Vegas and started my freshman year at the University of Missouri-Columbia. Then it went halfway across the world for a semester abroad in Barcelona, Spain. Now it's back to Mizzou for a final year. I began this blog to detail my European adventures. Though I'm back in the states, the adventures continue.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Muchas Cosas!


It's been a while since I last posted! Lo siento mis amigos! 

After returning from Paris, El día de San Valentín was upon us. For all you Valentine's Day haters, you would have loved it here because the holiday is basically ignored. However, I was able to find a small section of Valentine's Day cards in Corte Inglés. (By the way, Corte Inglés is a GIANT department store found EVERYWHERE in Spain. They say that if you can't find what you're looking for there, it doesn't exist in Spain!)

I picked out a super cheesy card. It's funny because it's in Spanish! 



Even all the way out here in Barcelona, I wasn't forgotten about. :)


Last week marked the celebration of Carnival - the European version of Mardi Gras/Halloween. The main party was 45 minutes outside Barcelona in a city called Sitges on Tuesday. I travelled there with a group of 10 people from my program and hundreds of other costume-wearing Spaniards and tourists alike. Needless to say, the train ride was pretty entertaining and quite colorful. 

The streets of Sitges were filled with people. We made a pact with our group to stay together the whole night no matter what. Unfortunately, that pact didn't last long. The streets were crazy and there was just too much going on. 

 (Yes, that's an MIZ on Tommy's forehead. I finally met someone else from Mizzou! I'm not alone!)


As the night progressed, our group of 10 slowly dwindled. Eventually, it was just me and my roommate Sonja wandering the streets trying to find our way back to the train. We stumbled upon the train station and managed to get back to Barcelona around 4 am. Carnival was quite the experience! 

The weather is finally warming up in Barcelona! It's been beautiful lately. I visited the beach last Friday and dipped my toes in the Mediterranean for the first time. 





Today I went out on a limb and trusted a hairdresser who didn't speak a lick of English. I was so nervous! They don't teach salon slang in Spanish class so all I knew how to say was "¡Solo corta un poco por favor! Quiero tener pelo largo." (Please only cut a little! I want to have long hair.) The rest I was able to decipher with hand gestures. My hairdresser taught me a new word: Flequillos!  I sure am loving my flequillos (bangs) nuevos. I feel so Spanish!








2 comments:

  1. I LOVE THE BANGS!!! They are so cute and I am sorry I didn't notice when we skyped last night! I am thinking of getting bangs too.. twinkies? maybesss =]

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hair looks amazing! So does Spain! :)

    ReplyDelete