About Me

My photo
Columbia, Missouri
My traveling closet began halfway across the country three years ago when I left Las Vegas and started my freshman year at the University of Missouri-Columbia. Then it went halfway across the world for a semester abroad in Barcelona, Spain. Now it's back to Mizzou for a final year. I began this blog to detail my European adventures. Though I'm back in the states, the adventures continue.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

First Week Abroad: ✔

That's right. I survived my first week abroad. I'm shocked a week has already passed because it certainly doesn't seem like it. Barcelona is a beautiful city: the culture, the architecture, the language(s)...I love it all.

I think my favorite moment this week occurred at a small, street corner cafe. The sunny, 50-degree weather made for perfect patio-sitting conditions. I ordered my very first café con leche and soaked in my newfound independence. Though I am used to living far away from home at Mizzou, living in a faraway country offers an entirely different form of independence. As I sipped my café con leche, a feeling of content swept through me. I survived packing, an 18-hour travel day, moving in with complete strangers, jet lag, starting a new school, and being forced out of my comfort zone to speak a foreign language: I can do this. I can become a Spaniard for the next four months. It was a wonderful feeling.



Of course, then my waitress brought me the cruji coque I ordered - the Spanish version of a pizza. Oof! It was probably the worst thing I've ever tasted. It smelt of horribly burnt crust and death. I managed to take all of five bites before giving up. I couldn't force myself to struggle through it. My host madre makes the best food for dinner but finding some descent Spanish food for lunch has been a challenge for me. I attempted the Spanish burger the next day; it was just as bad as the cruji coque. My father gave me this piece of cliché advice: "When in Barcelona, do as the Barcelonians do." Alright, so I'm not a complete Spaniard yet because all I want more than anything is a juicy, greasy American cheeseburger with a side of french fries and ranch. I might have to splurge for a 14-euro burger at the Hard Rock Cafe pretty soon.

While I'm on the topic of food, one staple food that breaks my heart: the milk. It is the third worst thing I've tried here. They buy and drink it warm. I repeat, WARM. It tastes utterly rotten. Therefore, I have adapted my morning breakfast to consist of a bowl of dry cereal. It's just not the same... RIP milk...

My body clock is finally starting to adapt to Spain's VERY different schedule.

9 am: Wake up, eat breakfast
1 pm: Lunch
4-9:55 pm: Oh the napping possibilities! (My favorite time of the day :D)
10 pm: Dinner
12 pm: Party! (I mean, not on school nights of course...(My parents read this blog) Haha...)
4 - 6 am: Bedtime

...and then do it all over again.

After only a week, it is already getting easier to speak Spanish with my host familia. They have been great so far and I'm definitely getting more comfortable with them. I'm excited to see what new adventures this next week will bring. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment